OptiWiM - Optimization of the Value Chain for Polymineral Ores of Economically Strategic Metals
Using metallurgical methods, OptiWiM coordinates the requirements for extraction and processing of polymineral deposits in the exploration of deposits. GMIT is carrying out a technical and economic feasibility study of Khalzan Burgedei rare earth metal mine.
Faculty of EngineeringIndustry Partner:
MONNIS/MLC Mongolian Lanthanoide Cooperation CompanyScientific Partner:
1. RWTH Aachen University 2. CBM Gesellshaft fuer Consulting, Business und Management mbHFunded by:
Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Germany
Polymineralic raw material deposits are economically more "robust" than others due to their diverse range of products. However, they still have the technological and economic disadvantage of comparatively expensive extraction and beneficiation processes. In connection with economic-strategic raw materials, polymineralic deposits, which have so far been less considered, are increasingly becoming the focus of attention. In the exploration stage,
Important parameters such as grain size distributions, mineral intergrowths, chemical and mineralogical composition of the ores are examined first. From the information gained, computer-aided 3D models are created, providing information about the required selectivity of the extraction process and information about the most suitable beneficiation methods.
The solutions found are examined for their technical and economic applicability. Geometallurgical methods combine geo-scientific, engineering and business knowledge. The methodology to be described with
Khalzan Buregde is an example of alkali
- Setup of a 3-D geological wireframe model and a conventional grade-tonnage block-model based on borehole data and own field studies.
- Geometallurgical parameters such as mineral intergrows, grain size distributions, chemical and mineralogical composition of different ore types are determined by a combination of polarization microscopy, QEMSCAN, EPMA, LA-ICP-MS, XRPD and bulk geochemical analysis in order to define
- Mineral processing
testworks, like optical sorting, comminution, classification, magnetic separation and flotation are performed on bulk samples, predefined by geometallurgicaldomains.
- Grade and tonnage models of the deposit will be revised and upgraded by
geometallurgicalparameters and parameters deduced from mineral processing testwork.
- Development of an optimal mathematical mining and processing model based on the previous findings.
A mineral processing scheme is developed on the basis of the definition of